Custom software development
For entrepreneurs, we digitalise core processes.
Business automation and digitalisation increase your speed and reach at lower costs. But digitising your core processes is what scales your unique strengths and the unique value you bring to clients.
We turn ideas into software. What is yours?
What we do ＿
We develop custom software products, and bring them from .ppt to .done.
Custom software development is the process of creating software that is unique to a specific customer or organization. This type of software is not available off the shelf, and must be designed and built specifically for your business needs.
Berg Software can build your software product’s technical specifications; choose the right future-proof technology; code the product; perform quality assurance; deliver to your own premises or cloud; maintain and further develop your product.
All you need is: management’s understanding and buy-in for the road ahead, and a tested-and-validated business model.
Our custom software development expertise ＿
- Manufacturing [Case study: Dynamic workflows for delivery of manufactured items]
- Retail [Case study: Retail promotion software]
- Office automation [Case study: Datamart solution for professional service companies]
- IT [Case study: Enterprise BI solution / Fortune 500 Co.]
- Storage [Case study: Advanced AI solution for enterprise malware detection]
- Cloud [Case study: Service delivery management application / Fortune 500 Co.]
- Project Management [Enterprise communication regulation b/w contracting parties]
- Marketing [Case study: Automotive configurator w/ bank & finance integration]
- Biomedical [Case Study: Clinical automation]
- Banking & finance
- Data centers
- Professional services
- Java, Jakarta EE, Spring Boot
- C#, .NET
- HTML, CSS, SCSS
- Angular, React
- SAP Fiori, SAP Hana, SAP UI5, OData, ABAP
- AWS, Azure, OTC
- CDS, Continuous Integration
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Microsoft SQL Server, MSAS, MSIS, MSRS
- Machine learning
- NetApp ONTAP
- Selenium, Sonar
- …and many others
- Enterprise Web Applications
- SAP Fiori
Reviews @ Clutch ＿
ProLion on Berg Software: three reasons for a great partnership
FAQs: custom software development ＿
1. Why custom software development?
For the vast majority of companies, packaged/off-the-shelf software does the job. Maybe not *absolutely everything* that’s needed, or maybe it needs extra tinkering/customising, but it’s usually good enough, stable, and relatively accessible.
On the other hand, there are cases where your software requirements are so specific and unique, that custom software would be either the only solution or the most efficient one. Instead of using 60% of a packaged software’s capabilities (with the rest of 40% just bloating and slowing-down the system), you focus the effort and resources into getting direct value.
Direct value also comes from increased flexibility and integration. Custom software is 100% in your control to build and adapt, and way easier to integrate with both legacy systems and off-the-shelf software.
However, building custom software needs a very good understanding of what you actually need, and what you can commit to. For example, in the long term, packaged software might be a better solution because of its automated, hassle-free upgrading – as opposed to the continuous hands-on involvement with custom software.
2. Your checklist before building custom software
Before building custom software, you will want to look into all the details, such as:
- What is the scope? Can it really be done only through custom software, or you can find off-the-shelf software that covers 75% of your requests?
- Do you have solid proof of concept? Did you test its business viability?
- Does the project have internal buy-in? Do you have executive champions/sponsors to support it? Is there an appropriate budget?
- Is our team empowered to work on a custom software development project? (e.g. Do they have the appropriate knowledge, skills, and authority?)
- Are there processes in place, to allow/facilitate working with an external software development company?
- What are your metrics for successful custom software?
3. How do you select a custom software partner?
- What is the software development company’s technology stack?
- How is the tech expertise spread across their personnel?
- How stable is the team?
- What are their working methodologies?
- Do they offer complementary services such as software design/architecture, QA, UI-UX, documentation, support, and maintenance etc.?
- What are their references and/or credentials?
On longer-term projects, you also might want to look at geographical and cultural proximity topics, such as:
- Is the software outsourcing company an EU member?
- Do they have any previous experience working with clients in your country?
- Are they easily reachable (e.g. direct flight, short driving distance etc.).
- Can you visit in person, before deciding?
For further details, you might want to have a look at our article: Where and how to: Find your software outsourcing company.
4. How much does custom software development cost?
In a custom software project, there are two main cost drivers:
Software development costs:
- The most significant cost element is brainpower. Your main benchmark will be [cost per man-hour], i.e. costs are correlated with expertise and seniority levels. The project’s total price will be strongly influenced by the development effort/time to build it.
- At Berg Software, we work with agile cost estimates. Starting from an initial assessment, we can either (A) size and adjust the functionalities to fit the cost cap; or (B) assess/forecast costs based on your needs. Either way, All estimates are 100% objective and transparent.
Infrastructure costs: can include licenses, hosting fees, third-party tools and libraries etc.
5. What about intellectual property?
At Berg Software, we follow the strictest security & non-disclosure standards.
Any and all software delivered by us is 100% free of 3rd-party code that can result in IP/intellectual property liabilities.
The IP/intellectual property is 100% client property.
6. What is the contractual framework of custom software development?
7. How do you kick-off a custom software development project?
It is critical for your project’s success to be intentional about the way you work with the custom software partner. Defining the specifics of your work mode helps to avoid a lot of future misunderstandings. Some of the most important topics to be discussed/agreed upon, at the very beginning, are:
- Roles and responsibilities within the partnership: yes, the custom software company should deliver, but they will need significant input from you (at least at the beginning), to make sure they got the scope and the details right.
- Expect a ramp-up period for the development team to understand/learn the project. This is where the development partner’s experience makes the whole difference.
- Decision making: you are in complete control, but decisions will be made on a regular basis that need to be supported and documented. Clarifying the decision-making process is another big step towards a successful project.
- Milestones and metrics: having a clear vision/scope of the project is as important as clarifying how to get there.
- Communications: who, when, how frequent, using which tools/platforms?
- Prototyping: a cheap but effective way to get a quick, early understanding of proposed functionalities.
- Definition of done: make sure to clarify from the very beginning, what/when is considered to be done.
8. How do you manage a custom software development project?
- On the client-side, personnel and processes should be in place to manage the working relationship with the software outsourcing partner.
- Prefer shorter delivery cycles (e.g. 1-3 weeks) that keep things fluid and manageable.
- Expect/demand full transparency about work in progress.
- Adopt an agile approach with frequent iterations: plan – design – develop – test – deploy – review.
- Keep an eye on the budget and current spending. Get regular budget assessments and forecasts.
For further details, you might want to have a look at our article: Agile stakeholder engagement.
9. What is the quality of custom software development?
Since you selected an experienced custom software company, quality should be embedded in everything they do, from processes to the final outcome. To be in complete control, you will need complete testing to be done frequently and early in each phase:
- Automated, high test coverage to discover any and all risks (i.e. unit testing, integration testing, regression testing).
- Test as you go, not only before deploying.
- At the end of each sprint, everything should be functional.
10. How is custom software delivered?
At Berg Software, we work with short delivery cycles (of 1-3 weeks), via sprints. We adapt to your needs and infrastructure, and deploy the standard methods of Continuous Delivery / Continuous Integration and DevOps.
In order to make sure your team is up to speed, we provide first-use assistance and/or further user training.
11. What happens after delivery?
Your custom software product will have to evolve with its users’ needs, which means it needs long-term commitment. That’s why Berg Software can keep supporting with:
- regular maintenance of your custom software;
- further upgrading and development;
- usage assistance.
Should you have any specific, software-related requests, we will be happy to support.
Do you need more information? Please let us know!
Latest insights ＿
Application to facilitate communications between members depending on their roles. Imports data from SAP and makes it available as projects and orders to the privileged users. Platform for communication and tasks.
An application that allows engineers to register new machines, mark operation points, schedule service intervals, view calendar of cleaning, inspection and lubrication activities.
Comprehensive solution to create retail offers and prepare them for advertising. It supports several business areas (Advertising, Marketing, Merchandising, Administration).